The jacket is a loose fitting, lined, above hipline jacket with double draped collar, welt pockets, princess seams and back ties. Lots and lots of topstitching as well! I changed the single welt pocket to a double welt and added a double flap with a button. I also shortened the sleeves by 1 1/2 inches.
The sleeves are a sort of raglan style with two pieces making up the front and back sides that marry up with two additional pieces making up the sides of the sleeves. It forms a sort of gusset underneath the armhole. I'm used to a more fitted, inset sleeve so these feel a little strange to me.
A special thank you to everyone that voted for the "Circles" lining. This was left over from another project and I couldn't decide between the circles or the cherries so I put it out to vote and the Circles won!
For the ruffled collar, I knew I wanted to do a rolled hem on my serger because I found some variegated thread that matched perfectly. I also knew the corners would be a bit of an issue with my new serger (lack of practice on my part), so I decided to slightly round out the corners instead and just serge away. Below is a diagram of what I trimmed off before serging. The collar is supposed to have a 5/8 hem zig zag hem around the edges, but I opted to keep the extra 5/8 inch rather than serging it off and have a slightly bigger collar.
Doesn't the variegated thread look great!
Here's a close up of the rolled hem. On the collar, both the right and wrong sides of the fabric show as you can kinda see here. The wrong side is slightly darker.
From the side, the buttons slightly show as well. I just used some plan buttons from my stash. No need for fancy ones here since the collar is the main feature of the garment.
This is just a cool angle so I thought I would throw it in as well.
Here's another view of the pocket and the ruffled collar.
I think my jacket turned out pretty good and I can't wait to wear it to work tomorrow!