Hi everyone! It's been awhile since my last post so here we go!
If you follow me on Instragram - you might recognize this fabric. I purchased it while on vacation last year in England. Unfortunately, I only bought 1.5 yards of it. I was undecided whether to make a blouse with a cowl neck front, or make a dress. I ended up settling on the dress - as you can see below - this is New Look 6224:
I BARELY squeeked out this dress sans sleeves from this fabric. I could have made the blouse much easier, but after looking at the pattern envelope, I realized that the front panel on the Vogue blouse I had selected needed to be cut on the bias and I just thought having ovals on the print going sideways on the front panel versus the ovals on the rest of the blouse going up and down, would look a bit odd.
Now I know what you are thinking - "Hey, the ovals are going sideways on the skirt portion of the dress and the bias band - so what's the big deal with the blouse pattern?" Well, I didn't have a blue that matched this print either to make a pair of pants or skirt out of so the dress pattern finally won in the end. And, if you look really closely, you can tell that my skirt portion is cut more than slightly on the bias - it's a little off, but in order to squeek out the dress - I had to shift the grainlines slightly. Still works though I think.
Here's the back view.
The front V on the neckline is complimented with some slight gathers to either side of it.
The band along the neckline is cut on the bias too. I made the band just slightly larger than called for. It's supposed to be 3/8" wide, but I made it 1/2" wide - not alot bigger I know. The armholes are cut in 3/4" smaller at the shoulder line, tapering down to the underarm seam. These are finished with bias tape from the scraps I had leftover.
All in all, I really like this dress. And yes, it has two shades of pink in this one! OMG - what am I doing here! For someone who doesn't care for pink as a color, this may have just put me over the edge!
Here are my stashbustin' stats for those of you following along with my crazy quest:
Yardage for this dress - 1.5 yards (barely!)
YTD Total yardage = 60.66
Happy sewing everyone!